Friday, July 27, 2012

Fall new arrivals part 3

Ok, so onto part 3 of my reviews from the Fall new arrivals. In previous reviews of the Fall rollout, I covered:

- Part 2:
- Part 1:


Zigzag Sequin Tee, Natural, size XS (similar here, here, here)

J. Crew Zigzag Sequin Tee
Zigzag Sequin Tee (similar here, here, here)
Ankle Stretch Toothpick Jean in Garment-Dyed Twill
(similar here, here, here, here)

I'm revisiting this top because I really had my eyes on it when it first appeared online, and I wanted to see if there was some way I could make it work. I tried on the Mint color in an XXS the other day and had trouble getting it on and off - I had to ask the SA to help me get it off! Here I've sized up to an XS, and wow, what a world of difference it made. I was able to get it on and off ok, and didn't have trouble getting my head through the neck opening. Surprisingly, it doesn't look that boxy even though it's one size too big for me. I guess this is a top that works well with a looser, more shift-like fit, like the Tessa and other woven tops, and doesn't need to be tightly-fitted like a knit tee. So if you also have trouble getting this one on/off in your normal size, sizing up may work out very well.

Here's a view from the side. You can see that the fit isn't too bad.

J. Crew Zigzag Sequin Tee and Ankle Stretch Toothpick Jean in Garment-Dyed Twill
Zigzag Sequin Tee (similar here, here, here)
Ankle Stretch Toothpick Jean in Garment-Dyed Twill
(similar here, here, here, here)

A detail shot. I don't know if this was the case with the Mint one, or maybe I just didn't notice it, but on the Natural it is very noticeable how the thread colors contrast against the sequins. Maybe this just wasn't a problem with the Mint since the colors were closer together in tone.

J. Crew Zigzag Sequin Tee
Zigzag Sequin Tee (similar here, here, here)

Verdict: I think I'm still open to the possibility of getting this top, despite my less-than-stellar experience with the Mint in XXS the other day. I just really love the color combination in Natural and I'm really liking how it looks here with the Shallow Sea color in the Ankle Stretch Toothpick Jean in Garment-Dyed Twill. I may try to wait for this to go to sale.



J. Crew Ankle Stretch Toothpick Jean in Garment-Dyed Twill
Ankle Stretch Toothpick Jean in Garment-Dyed Twill
(similar here, here, here, here)

I'm also revisiting these pants in this try-on though I had an iffy experience with another color in my last try-on. These pants come in so many gorgeous colors (Golden Sunflower, Shallow Sea, Neon Violet) that I really, really want to find some way to make them work. The biggest issue for me though, is how soft the material is, which creates a potential for cameltoe. If this is a solution that can be fixed with wearing certain types of underwear, I'd be all for these jeans. You can see how gorgeous the Shallow Sea color is and I've professed my love for the same color in the Silk Blythe numerous times in the past.

 Here's a side view. Still kind of rumply, like last time. Could be salvaged if it would shrink.

J. Crew Ankle Stretch Toothpick Jean in Garment-Dyed Twill
Zigzag Sequin Tee (similar here, here, here)
Ankle Stretch Toothpick Jean in Garment-Dyed Twill
(similar here, here, here, here)


Accordion Pleat Top, Ivory, XXS (similar here, here, here)

J. Crew Accordion Pleat Top and Ankle Stretch Toothpick Jean in Garment-Dyed Twill
Accordion Pleat Top (similar here, here, here)
Ankle Stretch Toothpick Jean in Garment-Dyed Twill
(similar here, here, here, here)

I loved the idea of this top when I saw it online, but as other JCAs have noted, the execution leaves much to be desired. First matter of concern - it is unlined. Can you believe it? There is no underlayer the pleated fabric is attached to, unlike many novelty fabric tees we've seen. Thus, it's quite sheer and you'd probably want to wear a tank underneath it. But then, what's the point of a base layer that needs a base layer underneath it? The waistband is a piece of ribbon or hem tape that is a bit tight and only stretches to a certain point, making it a little difficult to get the top over one's head. The fit on top is maybe a bit too voluminous, though the bottom seems fine. The armholes also seem to jut out a bit. It's also quite short; you can see how the bottom hem only barely makes it to the top of the jeans I'm wearing.

J. Crew Accordion Pleat Top
Accordion Pleat Top (similar here, here, here)
Ankle Stretch Toothpick Jean in Garment-Dyed Twill
(similar here, here, here, here)

It looks nice from the side, though.

J. Crew Accordion Pleat Top and Ankle Stretch Toothpick Jean in Garment-Dyed Twill
Accordion Pleat Top (similar here, here, here)
Ankle Stretch Toothpick Jean in Garment-Dyed Twill
(similar here, here, here, here)

Here you can see how sheer it is. Notice the black of the hanger showing through - there is no lining! It's just the layer of pleats.

J. Crew Accordion Pleat Top
Accordion Pleat Top (similar here, here, here)

In the next few pictures below, I've also tried it on in an XS, which is one size too big for me. I felt the length was actually adequate in this size, but as you can see the top part was way too voluminous.

J. Crew Accordion Pleat Top
Accordion Pleat Top (similar here, here, here)
Toothpick Cord (similar here, here, here)


Toothpick Cord, Pale Turquoise, size 24 (similar here, here, here)

J. Crew Accordion Pleat Top and Toothpick Cord
Accordion Pleat Top (similar here, here, here)
Toothpick Cord (similar here, here, here)

Though this turquoise is supposed to be "pale," it's quite loud. The lighting in this fitting room was rather dark so it's hard to tell, but the color is quite saturated and seemed very chemical to me. These cords fit like a dream though - snug and flattering. I own a pair of the Toothpick Cords from last year and think this year's may be a bit tighter, as I remember last year's were very loose when I tried them on in the fitting room, and it took shrinking them to get them to fit me. The material is a decent weight, nothing remarkable about it. I love that the shorter length fits me perfectly as long pants, but would probably feel short-changed if I were someone with average length legs. I can't help but wonder if maybe these shorter lengths are a cost-cutting measure?

J. Crew Accordion Pleat Top and Toothpick Cord
Accordion Pleat Top (similar here, here, here)
Toothpick Cord (similar here, here, here)


Painter Boatneck Tee, Mint, XXS (similar here, here, here)

J. Crew Painter Boatneck Tee
Painter Boatneck Tee (similar here, here, here)
3" Short in Tiki Print (my own), review here

As I've professed in a previous post, I'm quite crazy about the gold button detail on the Painter Tees this season. I think they add a sharp, bright, and cute touch to basic knit tops and make them stand their own better. Combine that with stunning colors - Celestial Blue, Neon Fuchsia, and one of my favorite color categories for apparel, Mint green - and you've got a top that's simple and comfy to wear, but still makes an impression. The XXS was tight-fitting just as I like my tees to be. The arms were particularly tight; I had a bit of the "sausage casing" syndrome with the sleeves that others have noted, but other than that the XXS was perfect.


Hmm, seems like everything I reviewed in this post was one of two colors: mint green or ivory, lol. Have no fear though, there are more reviews coming and the items span a range of colors! My last review post for this round of try-ons will cover the Jules Dress in Stripe Silk Twill and two colors of the Blythe Blouse in Silk, neither of them mint green (though I did finally just order the Blythe in my beloved Shallow Sea and am super excited to receive it and review it!). So, what did you think of the items in this try-on? Anything you love/hate?

6 comments:

  1. I think the accordion top is actually very pretty - but I will wait for it to go on sale first! Tabitha of Bourbon & Pearls ordered those cords in the same colour and was taken by surprise at how bright they were. The website photo is completely inaccurate for this particular shade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of the Accordion Pleat Top and initially eyed it after seeing it in the catalog, but the fit just wasn't quite right on me. It seems like the cord colors are quite bold this year! I got some light purple ones from last year, a lovely shade, but don't know if I can pull off this year's colors.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the reviews! I can't wait to try the terracotta color cords.

    Regarding the twill toothpicks, I don't know if it's the lighting or color of the pants but the front pockets are visible through the pants. The effect makes the pants fabric seem very thin. This blogger, JCrew Ankle Stretch Toothpicks on blogger, is wearing them in golden sunflower and the pockets aren't visible, and I don't see any camel toe effect (ickh).
    :) Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fabric was definitely very soft and sank into every contour rather than smoothing them over. I don't recall noticing the imprint of the front pockets when I tried them on, so it may just be the overhead lighting in the fitting room. But yeah, I can see what you mean in the picture.

      Delete
  3. I love the look of the Painter boatneck too. I'm wondering if I should size up because of the issue with the arms being tight. I usually take an xs in Perfect fit tees. Would you say this fit is tighter?

    I was considering the Toothpick cords because of the great colors. I've always gotten the Matchsticks. After reading your reviews, I think I'll stick with the Matchstick. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi maryeb! If you don't like your tees to be too form-fitting, I think sizing up would be a good idea. The XXS in the Painter boatneck had an Abercrombie & Fitch level of curve hugging, lol, which is fine by me, but may not be everyone's cup of tea. I actually usually size up to an XS in the Perfect Fit Long Sleeve Tees, otherwise the shoulders are too close-in on me, so I'm not sure how the the Painter boatneck compares to the XXS in the Perfect Fit.

      I noticed that the colors in the Matchsticks are much more reasonable than those in the Toothpicks! I wish the Toothpick colors were just as wearable - some of them are very bold!

      Delete