Saturday, July 28, 2012

Fall new arrivals part 4

This will be the last set of reviews from my trip to check out the new Fall arrivals that debuted in stores last Thursday. If you missed the other three parts, I reviewed these items:

- Part 1:
- Part 2:
- Part 3:

Blythe Blouse in Silk, Byzantine Blue, size 00 (similar here, here, here, here)
I was excited to see the new colors of the Silk Blythe as I love the ones I already have. Admittedly I'm not too keen on the colors from this rollout. The Byzantine Blue looked stunning on the website, but in person it's more bold and saturated, and more of an in-your-face blue than the subtly purplish shade from the website. The fit of the Blythe is more loose and boxy than that of the Perfect Shirt, as is fitting of a silk blouse. The material is adequate, though when I compare it to a J. Crew silk top I have from 2010, the Blythe is thinner and has less of a luxe texture. The texture is neither a lush crepe/suede-like finish nor a particularly satiny one; it has a bit of sheen, but I find the texture a little disappointing, actually.

J. Crew Blythe Blouse in Silk in Byzantine Blue
Blythe Blouse in Silk (similar here, here, here, here)
Toothpick Cord (similar here, here, here)

On me, the length of the blouse makes it not quite long enough to tuck into lower rise bottoms, as you can see below, although I can manage to get the front and back in. (I'm wearing the Toothpick Cord in Pale Turquoise below, which I reviewed here.) I'm 5'5" and have an average-to-slightly-longer torso.

J. Crew Blythe Blouse in Silk in Byzantine Blue and Toothpick Cord in Pale Turquoise
Blythe Blouse in Silk (similar here, here, here, here)
Toothpick Cord (similar here, here, here)

Here, on a mid-rise jean, you can see that the Blythe tucks in on all sides.

J. Crew Blythe Blouse in Silk in Byzantine Blue and Midrise Toothpick Jean in Carbon
Blythe Blouse in Silk (similar here, here, here, here)
Midrise Toothpick Jean in Carbon (similar here, here, here, here)


Midrise Toothpick Jean in Carbon, size 24 (similar here, here, here, here)
I liked these jeans a lot. The material was quite substantial, the cut hugged your body, and the fading was flattering. These jeans will actually be a good length (30" inseam) for those with average leg lengths, unlike the many colored skinny jeans and cords we've seen from J. Crew lately.

J. Crew Midrise Toothpick Jean in Carbon
Blythe Blouse in Silk (similar here, here, here, here)
Midrise Toothpick Jean in Carbon (similar here, here, here, here)

Here, you can see their actual length. Since I normally take a Petite size in pants, they were a bit long on me.

J. Crew Midrise Toothpick Jean in Carbon
Blythe Blouse in Silk (similar here, here, here, here)
Midrise Toothpick Jean in Carbon (similar here, here, here, here)


Blythe Blouse in Silk, Neon Kiwi, size 00 (similar here, here, here, here)
I'd considered this color in the Blythe as a possibility when I saw it on the website, but after seeing it in person, I don't think it's a color I could do. The lighting was dark in the fitting room, but I remembered the color as a highlighter-yellow with a tinge of green. Definitely a neon. I can see this working if your style is like that of the lady from Hong Kong profiled in J. Crew's international style feature though.

J. Crew Blythe Blouse in Silk in Neon Kiwi
Blythe Blouse in Silk (similar here, here, here, here)


Jules Dress in Stripe Silk Twill, size 00 (similar here, here, here)
I wasn't sure if this dress is meant to be worn with bare legs or as a tunic with leggings or pants, because it's really, really short. The stiffness of the silk fabric makes it so that if you lift your arms high enough, it can pull up the bottom hem inappropriately high - yikes! The stiffness in the upper body also made it hard for me to get it off, but I have wide shoulders. The fit was as expected though, for my regular size. The sleeves are bracelet-length. There's a slit keyhole in the back with a button closure. The silk is very smooth, without a hint of slubby or crepey texture. There's some amount of sheen.

J. Crew Jules Dress in Stripe Silk Twill
Jules Dress in Stripe Silk Twill (similar here, here, here)

J. Crew Jules Dress in Stripe Silk Twill
Jules Dress in Stripe Silk Twill
(similar here, here, here)


J. Crew Jules Dress in Stripe Silk Twill
Jules Dress in Stripe Silk Twill (similar here, here, here)

That's it for this round of new-arrival reviews. What do you think of this first Fall rollout? Anything you're planning to get? Or are you waiting to see what future rollouts bring?

7 comments:

  1. Thanks SO much for these reviews!!! I love the Blythe Blouse. Everything looks great on you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, rynetta! Love the Blythe too, just collected my 3rd one - in Shallow Sea.

      Delete
  2. Love these on you!

    I actually bought the Blythe in that colour today - I hear on length - It wasn't an issue for my 5'2" frame though! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray on your new Blythe! Let us know if you come up with some outfits for it!

      Delete
  3. Great reviews, I love a review that tells me if I would actually buy/wear something.
    Oh, and I think you've solved the mystery of the "half-tuck"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks wellfedfred, glad I could be helpful! Haha, so maybe the half-tuck had accidental origins - oh how effortful it is to make something look accidental!

      Delete
  4. I like the combination of the Blythe Blouse in Silk & the Midrise Toothpick Jean in Carbon.Looks pretty cool.Good choice by the way.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete