Sunday, August 19, 2012

J. Crew September rollout reviews part 3

This will be the third of several installments reviewing the new items from last Thursday's September rollout. In previous posts, I have reviewed the following items:

- Part 2:
- Part 1:


Optic-Dot Dress, size 0 (similar color here, here; dotted work options here, here)
I know some JCAs were already put off by this one due to its poly fabric, but if that's not you, and you are into this print, I'd say this dress has a flattering silhouette. Not too short either - it almost makes it to my knee, unlike the Allie. The material is substantial and has a bit of a crepe texture. I'm wearing a 0, which is one size large on me, and the dress is roomy, but still has a shape, so I'd say it's TTS. This dress has good waist definition, which creates a flattering shape. I also think the raglan shoulders and the way they cause the arm hole to be angled is chic.

J. Crew Optic-Dot Dress
Optic-Dot Dress (similar here, here, here, here)

From the side: there's a bit of room on me, but the fitted shape is still flattering.

J. Crew Optic-Dot Dress
Optic-Dot Dress
(similar here, here, here, here)

From the back: nice angles from the raglan shoulder seams, and the darting at the waist. Zipper in the back.

J. Crew Optic-Dot Dress
Optic-Dot Dress
(similar here, here, here, here)


Schoolboy Blazer in Wool Herringbone, Romance Pink, size 00 (similar here, here, here)
Like the Cafe Capri in Herringbone, which I reviewed here, the wool material in this is very thick, and a bit fuzzy too. It's lined, of course. There are some great construction details on the inside, like contrast piping in the lining, and several inside pockets. The 00 seems just a little boxy on me, but that may be good if I should wear something thicker than a silk top underneath. The shoulders felt like they were a bit wide on me such that the pads stuck out when I lifted my arms. Hmm. I have to wonder if the size 00 is actually any smaller than the 0 of 2010, when J. Crew hadn't yet introduced 00s. I tried on a Velvet Schoolboy Blazer in a 0 from that year and it seems to fit the same as this one. Oh well. At any rate, if you can find your size, this seems to be a high quality garment.

J. Crew Schoolboy Blazer in Wool Herringbone in Romance Pink
Schoolboy Blazer in Wool Herringbone (similar here, here, here)

From the side: adequately fitted.

J. Crew Schoolboy Blazer in Wool Herringbone in Romance Pink
Schoolboy Blazer in Wool Herringbone
(similar here, here, here)

Interior pockets and lining.




Toni Tassel Loafers, Adobe, size 6 (similar here, here, here)
Loafers have been pretty big lately, and I'm all over their bookish, old-world look. I'm hoping to get some to wear with brown, tweedy wool crops with a silk blouse tucked in. This pair surprised me with how thick the leather was - it was quite stiff. The patent parts are also quite shiny. I'm wearing a 6 and usually need a 5 or 5.5, so I'm sliding my foot forward in the first pic to show that it's large. I really don't have any problems to report with these shoes other than that on the tongue, you can somewhat see the contours from underneath. I noticed this on the website too and feared that it might mean the leather was thin, but this was definitely not the case in person.


J. Crew Toni Tassel Loafers in Adobe
Toni Tassel Loafers (similar here, here, here)

The text on the inside of the shoe notes that it has a leather upper and lining.

J. Crew Toni Tassel Loafers in Adobe
Toni Tassel Loafers (similar here, here, here)

Another angle.

J. Crew Toni Tassel Loafers in Adobe
Toni Tassel Loafers (similar here, here, here)


Cafe Capri in Silky Dot, size 00 (similar here, here, here)
Because I usually take a 00P and the 00 here is too big on me, I kept feeling like I was wearing satin pajamas while trying these! So I guess that would be an important consideration for anyone interested in these - make sure your size fits snugly. The material is kind of thin for a pant though it's definitely thicker than silk-blouse fabric, and the pant is unlined too, so that could be a put-off for some. I checked the tag too, and it's 66% silk and 34% wool, which is interesting. I noticed that if you moved your legs against the fabric vigorously, you can feel a slight itchiness from the wool, but typically it's not that noticeable. Despite the wool, the fabric is quite shiny and satiny on the outside.


J. Crew Cafe Capri in Silky Dot
Cafe Capri in Silky Dot (similar here, here, here)

Satin-pajama effect might go away when wearing a fitted size.

J. Crew Cafe Capri in Silky Dot
Cafe Capri in Silky Dot (similar here, here, here)

34% wool - interesting.

J. Crew Cafe Capri in Silky Dot
Cafe Capri in Silky Dot (similar here, here, here)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks! You have reviewed many pieces I was curious about!!! I think I will pass on the schoolboy and perhaps move to the hacking jacket once I get a bead on this fall's sizing. I like the capris, but they do look kind of pajama-y - have to think about them! I love the loafers and i love the dress on you!

    ReplyDelete