Friday, September 28, 2012

J. Crew October rollout reviews part 4

Hello, everyone! This will be the last set of reviews for the first October rollout, which hit stores in mid-September. New arrivals were just added to the website, so I'll stop by the B&Ms soon to see if they have any new items. In earlier reviews for the new October rollout, I covered:

- Part 3:

- Part 2:

- Part 1:


Jacquard Dot Popover, Naples Blue, size 00 (similar here, here, here)
This polka dot print on this shirt is cute and has a unique textural feature (detail shots below), but the fit was way, way off on me. You can see from the picture how boxy and shapeless this shirt is -- it's almost as if it doesn't get any narrower from the shoulder down. The sleeves seemed kind of baggy at some parts, too. The fabric was about as thin as the Liberty shirts, which I found to be quite thin for a casual shirt. There is a concealed button placket.

Jacquard Dot Popover (similar here, here, here)

Completely shapeless on me. The sleeves look oddly baggy toward the bottom, too.

Jacquard Dot Popover (similar here, here, here)

Here's a closeup of the concealed button placket and the textured polka dots. You can see how the textured dots look from the inside, as well.



Tipped Merino Cardigan, Navy Sand, size XXS (similar here, here, here)
This isn't a newer item, and in fact it's on sale and selling out on the website, but there was a well-stocked table of these in the store so I thought I'd try it on. I think the style is wonderful and versatile -- classic and put-together looking, but still interesting and even a little quirky with the tipping. I love how the navy is looking with the Jacquard Dot Popover peeking out below. When I grabbed it, I thought the fabric felt thin compared to other merino items from J. Crew, but when I compared it to the Tippi, it was the same. I'm not sure how the weight compares to say, Infinity Cardigans from previous years as I don't own any of those. The fit is TTS.

Jacquard Dot Popover (similar here, here, here)
Tipped Merino Cardigan (similar here, here, here)

Fit is TTS from the side, if a bit rumply (could just be because of the shirt underneath).

Jacquard Dot Popover (similar here, here, here)
Tipped Merino Cardigan
(similar here, here, here)


Snowcap Quilted Jacket, Dried Olive, size XS (similar here, here, here)
There wasn't an XXS of this jacket in-store so I grabbed an XS. I was surprised by how much I liked this jacket. I don't wear puffers very much and have never owned a short quilted jacket like this; I've always thought the style would look too dowdy for my liking. However, this jacket manages to be quite sharp-looking, actually. It's pretty well fitted; I'm wearing one size too large here but even then it fits fairly well, so I imagine my normal XXS would be just right. Its trim shape combined with the standout gold zippers gives this jacket a sleek edge. Plus, I think this olive green color is quite sophisticated and would look good in the city, not just the suburbs.

Snowcap Quilted Jacket (similar here, here, here)

From the side: the XS has a bit of room on me through the midsection, but surprisingly, probably less so than some recent items I've tried on in an XXS!

Snowcap Quilted Jacket (similar here, here, here)

There's a knit sleeve cuff attached to the regular sleeve.

Snowcap Quilted Jacket (similar here, here, here)


Majesty Peacoat, Vintage Berry, size 00 (similar here, here, here)
One thing that's very noticeable about this coat fairly immediately is that it's very, very heavy. I almost felt like I was lifting a weight while getting this on and off! I've heard other JCAs report that the stadium cloth is J. Crew's warmest coat fabric, and it's definitely apparent here. The coat felt pretty big on me length-wise, but that may just be because I'm getting unused to wearing a peacoat-length coat what with all the cropped jackets going around now! Width-wise, it felt like it fit correctly.


Sleeves are too long on me, but I have short arms. Maybe a Petite size would be better on me?



Jaspe Scoopneck Popover, size XXS (similar here, here, here, here)
Like the website claims, this top is extremely soft; it's very sweatshirt-like and felt cottony. It's actually an acrylic/wool/cotton mix (see tag below). It has a slouchy, but not oversized shape. The volume looks much more appropriate on me in the front picture than the side, for some reason. The sleeves are much slimmer, proportionally, than the body, which prevents it from having a completely baggy look. The dropped shoulder seams come partway down the arm, at which point the slim sleeves start. The material is an interesting double-sided knit that has two completely different appearances: space-dye on the outside and solid black on the inside.

Jaspe Scoopneck Popover (similar here, here, here, here)

From the side: looks rather baggy, like it's just hanging off my chest. Hmm. You can see where the dropped shoulders are in this picture.

Jaspe Scoopneck Popover
(similar here, here, here, here)

Here's a detail shot of the cuffed sleeves and the two-sided fabric. I've unrolled the sleeve cuff one fold to reveal the raw edge inside, showing that the space-dye side and the black side are actually a single piece of fabric. You can also see this from the bottom hem, which I've turned up.

Jaspe Scoopneck Popover (similar here, here, here, here)

Fabric contents.

Jaspe Scoopneck Popover
(similar here, here, here, here)

Ok, that's all for now! What do you think of the October items so far?

12 comments:

  1. I really like the peacoat on your especially. I have decided NOT to order one this fall. I tried on my daughter's and I think the double breasted look is just too much for my petite, busty frame... sigh..

    I also really like the puffy jacket - it looks great on you and I can see it being a really great coat for fall and winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, WMM! That peacoat certainly was bulky and heavy. I'm a long-coat lover myself and can't wait to see some of them hit stores later on this fall!

      Delete
  2. I've been eying the Snowcap jacket. I need a short winter jacket. I'm just not sure it will be warm enough if we have our usual cold winter.

    The peacoat is really cute on you. I'd consider it for my winter jacket but, again, not sure if it would be warm enough. It certainly is a gorgeous color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in Toronto and the peacoat was warm enough for almost every day last winter (granted it was a fairly mild winter by our standards). It is quite a bit warmer than I was expecting.

      Delete
    2. Hi, maryeb! The Snowcap is definitely slim and lightweight and maybe meant for fall days. I have a long puffer coat that I wear when it gets to the 30s and below and it's much, much thicker than the Snowcap. The Stadium Cloth on the peacoat, however -- holy cow it was heavy! I think it took hefting it up and moving it around for me to appreciate its weight. I don't have a Stadium Cloth garment myself but I can believe it'd be pretty warm!

      Delete
  3. It was love for me on the jaspe until we got to the ingredients. I'm secretly happy about crossing things off my list.

    That peacoat looks really good on you, pretty color too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's a pity that there's so much acrylic in the sweatshirt! Seems like it should be easy enough to just have the sweatshirt have more cotton, right?

      Delete
  4. Making a serious effort to hide from mystery fabric mixes - no Frankenclothes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Frankenclothes! Yeah, I did a head-scratch at the 2% other fiber myself.

      Delete
  5. Loving the color of that peacoat! It fits you great too!

    I reviewed some J.Crew Collar shirts here:

    http://sequinsforbreakfast.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. what is your chest size? I am trying to get the majesty coat and I'm going crazy trying to figure if the 00P will fit me! thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I measure 33" at the chest and wear a 32C. The 00 Regular I tried on fit wonderfully; I didn't notice any tightness. Hope that helps!

      Delete