Friday, October 26, 2012

J. Crew November rollout reviews part 2

Alright, it's time for round two of my reviews of the new November rollout items! I stopped into the higher-tier store in our area so there are two items here that I haven't seen in the other stores around here. I will be adding the items in this post to my new Index of Review Posts, which I introduced here. I have so far covered the following items from the November rollout:

- Part 1:


Lady Jacket in Corkscrew Tweed in Dark Grape, size 00 (similar here, here, here)
I found this jacket to fit slightly roomier in the waist than the Lady Jacket in Double-Serge Wool (review here). While that one had a straight cut through the body but was otherwise quite trim, this one left a definite gap on me in the midsection. It wasn't that noticeable and wouldn't stop me from getting this jacket. The fit felt right everywhere else. The tweed is a wool blend that is not terribly dense, but isn't thin either what with the volume of all the yarns. The weave had a loose quality, like a boucle, but with a flatter surface. Given the texture, I at first thought maybe the fabric featured the raw ends of the yarn woven in, but upon closer inspection (see detail shot), it turned out the yarn was just fuzzy and loosely spun, creating the boucle-like texture. Doesn't detract from the fabric, IMO, as this is a specifically achieved texture (at least I'd think so!).

Lady Jacket in Corkscrew Tweed (similar here, here, here)
Cafe Capri in Tiny Dots (similar here, here, here)

From the side: a bit extra room in the midsection. This picture probably exaggerates the effect, as the roominess was mild enough it wouldn't stop me from considering this jacket.

Lady Jacket in Corkscrew Tweed
(similar here, here, here)
Cafe Capri in Tiny Dots (similar here, here, here)

Closeup of the texture. You can see the yarns are kind of frizzy and loosely spun, to create a fuzzy, worn-in look.

Lady Jacket in Corkscrew Tweed (similar here, here, here)

Fabric contents.



Cafe Capri in Tiny Dots, size 00 (similar here, here, with front pleats here)
The fabric on these pants is a 64% wool, 36% viscose blend that is fairly substantial and has noticeable texture -- somewhat crepey, I think; you can feel the texture of the threads. The material is a good bit thicker than the Wool Cafe Capris and has a soft, fluid, almost knit-like feel. I kept thinking I could pull it and it'd stretch somewhat, like a knit. Anyway, it's quite comfortable and is cool to the touch. Fit-wise, it seems larger than most 00 Regular Cafe Capris (or other pants) I've tried on, including the Wool Cafe Capris, such as in my previous reviews post. I normally wear a 00 Petite, so these are large on me in any case.

Cafe Capri in Tiny Dots
(similar here, here, here)

Outfit shot with the Silk Blythe I happened to be wearing, which is an older color called Fresh Apricot. There's another, slightly dusty, pink called Mauve Blush in this season's colors, though.

Top: Blythe Blouse in Silk, Fresh Apricot (old)
Cafe Capri in Tiny Dots (similar here, here, here)

Fit is rather large on me.

Cafe Capri in Tiny Dots
(similar here, here, here)

Closeup of the fabric -- you can see that the threads are not flat and smooth, but rather rise up to create a (crepe-like) texture.

Cafe Capri in Tiny Dots (similar here, here, here)

The reverse of the fabric -- very interesting! It's very clear that the dots are woven into the fabric with intricacy. I have no idea what's going on here, but this would be a pretty interesting pattern in and of itself, don't you think?

Cafe Capri in Tiny Dots (similar here, here, here)

Fabric contents.

Cafe Capri in Tiny Dots (similar here, here, here)


No. 2 Pencil Skirt in Corkscrew Tweed in Vibrant Fuchsia, size 00 (similar here, here, here)
This is the same tweed as the Lady Jacket above. Compared to the double-serge wool in this year's Wool No. 2 Pencil Skirt, it's thicker but less dense. It's not very stiff, and is swingy on the body. You can see that it's rumpling a little bit in this picture. I would still be ok with the weight of the material, but wouldn't expect it to smooth out lumps on the body. The fit is just like the other No. 2 Pencils and feels exactly as intended for my size. I'm 5'5" (with shorter legs) and the length came down past my knees. Waist was about at my belly button.

Top: Blythe Blouse in Silk, Fresh Apricot (old)
No. 2 Pencil Skirt in Corkscrew Tweed
(similar here, here, here)

From the side: fit is slim and perfect.

No. 2 Pencil Skirt in Corkscrew Tweed
(similar here, here, here)


Toothpick Cord in Ribbon Bow Print, size 24 (other green options: here, here, here)
My most salient impression of these pants is that they're stiffer than I'd expected. Not enough to warrant sizing up, but I felt they were both a bit smaller than the regular Toothpick Cords, which I reviewed in this post, and also of a less stretchy material. These are 99% cotton, 1% spandex, although I'm not sure what the regular Toothpick Cords are. I found the print to be more wearable than I'd expected, as the green is darker and less jarring in-person than the website image. It makes me think of a retro, 70s den that maybe has a shag carpet, lol. I see the cutesy bow print going a more earthy, Madewell aesthetic direction, but it can probably work in a glam way, too.

Toothpick Cord in Ribbon Bow Print
(similar here, here, here)

Outfit shot with my Blythe. Not my ideal outfit pairing, but I think a similar light, peachy color might go well with the pants.

Top: Blythe Blouse in Silk, Fresh Apricot (old)
Toothpick Cord in Ribbon Bow Print (similar here, here, here)

From the back: curve-hugging and TTS.

Toothpick Cord in Ribbon Bow Print
(similar here, here, here)

Fabric contents.

Toothpick Cord in Ribbon Bow Print
(similar here, here, here)


Collection Cashmere Ribbed Square-Neck Sweater in Iced Lilac, size XS (similar here; similar color here, here)
This is an item I believe I only saw in our one higher-tier store. It's huge on me because I'm wearing one size up as my usual XXS wasn't in-store in this style. I'm not entirely sure how XS's typically fit on me, but I think this style runs large. Or maybe it's supposed to have an oversized fit. It's kind of approaching the Oversize Merino Pocket Sweater on me! It's quite long and in the first two pictures I have it completely pulled down to show its length. I wasn't sure if it's supposed to be worn folded over, so I have it styled like that in the next two pics after that. The cashmere in the body is ribbed and thicker than most of the other cashmere sweaters I've seen from J. Crew. The material at the sleeves is a more regular weight.

Collection Cashmere Ribbed Square-Neck Sweater (similar here, here, here)
Toothpick Cord in Ribbon Bow Print
(similar here, here, here)

From the side: boxy enough that I suspect it would be wide even in one's actual size.

Collection Cashmere Ribbed Square-Neck
Sweater
(similar here, here, here)
Toothpick Cord in Ribbon Bow Print

(similar here, here, here)

Here I've folded the hem folded under. The material wasn't all that well-suited to this, so the fold stuck out a bit in an awkward way. Maybe the sweater would've been better of the bottom hem were banded and narrowed in, so the body of the sweater could drape over without you having to actually fold up the hem.

Collection Cashmere Ribbed Square-Neck Sweater (similar here, here, here)
Toothpick Cord in Ribbon Bow Print
(similar here, here, here)

From the side: fold is very prominent.

Collection Cashmere Ribbed Square-Neck
Sweater
(similar here, here, here)
Toothpick Cord in Ribbon Bow Print

(similar here, here, here)


Double-Cloth Greatcoat in Navy, size 00 (similar here, here, here)
This is the other item I only saw at our top-tier store. I think the style is nice, but the cut is quite different through different parts of the coat. I wouldn't say the fit is necessarily off, but maybe just that there's a big contrast. The top part is wonderfully, deliciously fitted and snug. This is highly satisfying to me as I like my clothes to have a shape. The tailoring felt perfect for my size. The skirt, however, is quite flared, thanks to the generous number of pintucks at the waist. I put my arm behind me so you can see how much the skirt comes out even without lifting your arm. This isn't necessarily a problem if you want kind of a doll-like shape, but on me I found the silhouette to be more theatrical than gracefully hourglass. The material is the Double-Cloth wool, which is substantial, non-felted, and dry and thread-y rather than soft/fuzzy to the touch.

Double-Cloth Greatcoat (similar here, here, here)
Shoes: Fossil Juniper Flat, Light Cognac

From the side: skirt bells out quite a bit on me, looking almost like a bustle in the back. I do have narrow hips in relation to the rest of my body, so I wonder how much this would be different on other body types.

Double-Cloth Greatcoat
(similar here, here, here)
Shoes: Fossil Juniper Flat, Light Cognac

Shot of the detail. Like most/all the wool coats from J. Crew, the lining is thick and satiny.

Double-Cloth Greatcoat (similar here, here, here)

The lining even mirrors the exterior's pintuck pleating.

Double-Cloth Greatcoat (similar here, here, here)

Interesting button shape: the holes are widened to look like a four-leaf clover!

Double-Cloth Greatcoat (similar here, here, here)

Fabric contents.

Double-Cloth Greatcoat
(similar here, here, here)


Ok, that's it for now. What do you think of the items in this post? Do you like the bright Corkscrew Tweeds? Are you one for crazy pants?

15 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great reviews! I think we are of similar size, so your thorough reviews help a lot. Quick question about your shoes (they are cute on you!) - are they TTS? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sunny, thanks for visiting! I'm glad my reviews help you with sizing. Thanks, regarding the shoes! I love love love these shoes and like to sing their praises to anyone who will listen, lol. I'm wearing a size 5 and I'd say they're about the same as a 5 in J. Crew's flats, which I've found to run larger than some of their (J. Crew's) heels. I typically wear a 5 or 5.5 and I found that the 5 is snug enough so that the foot opening stays right with my foot when I'm walking and doesn't move around.

      I reviewed these shoes in this post. I really can't say enough good things about them as they look like boots, but are low-cut so you can wear under long pants or with shorter bottoms like crops or skirts. I've gotten tons of compliments on them! Hope this helps!

      Delete
  2. I love that coat! Am looking forward to getting those pants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shape of the coat is really cute and unique! And let us know if you get the pants!

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much! I never gave that style of shoe any thought until I saw it on you. I might just have to get them. Hopefully they will look good on me as they do on you! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything looks really good on you. Of course I'm drawn to the crazy pants ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it looks like the crazy pants abound this season so get them while they're available!

      Delete
  5. Oh I now LOVE that coat after seeing it on you! Reminds me of a fab coat Kristin Ritter was wearing recently. Thanks so much for reviewing! I think the corkscrew tweed is going to be a mess after a bit, with all that fuzziness already going on there, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! The Corkscrew Tweed didn't feel like it rose too high from the fabric, but it was loose.

      Delete
  6. The ribbon bow print pants are awesome - and I am digging the corkscrew tweed skirts too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Lisa! Glad you found something to your liking!

      Delete
  7. The ribbon bow printed pants are definitely fun. I love the coat and the pink tweed skirt!

    xoxo,
    Suzie Q
    www.StyleCueBySuzieQ.com
    Breil Necklace GIVEAWAY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all the fun colors and prints going on too. Thanks for visiting, Suzie!

      Delete
  8. Spectacular reviews - I love all the detail and thought you put into these! Especially interested in the Greatcoat, wondering how it'd look on shorter, squatter me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, SewPetiteGal! The Greatcoat is one of the longest coats I've tried on this season from J.Crew -- a few inches longer than the Double Cloth Slim Trench and perhaps even slightly longer than the Funnel Coat. The bottom was also quite bell-shaped on my [narrow] hips, which may or may not work for you depending on your body type. Hope that helps!

      Delete