Tuesday, October 16, 2012

J. Crew October rollout reviews part 6

Hello everyone! We are on the cusp of the Holiday season rollout, so I have a few more items newly in our stores that I wanted to review, a few of which are actually from the Holiday rollout. I've previously reviewed the following items from the October rollout:

- Part 5:

- Part 4:


- Part 3:

- Part 2:

- Part 1:



Peacoat Popover, Brilliant Flame, size 00 (similar here, here, here)
I had high hopes for this coat after seeing it on the website, but once again, the fit ruined it for me. While the shoulders fit on me, the bottom part is way too wide and hangs like a lampshade. To its credit, I'm not sure a popover like this item could've been done any differently, as even with the extra width in the bottom, I was barely able to get this on. I do have wide shoulders though, so others may have an easier time getting it on and making it look good. Otherwise, the material is fantastic - it's the Peacoat Wool, which is 100% wool, substantial, and very soft to the touch. The lining is thick and satiny, too.


Peacoat Popover (similar here, here, here)

From the side: entirely too much room throughout the body.

Peacoat Popover (similar here, here, here)

For those unfamiliar with J. Crew's outerwear fabrics, I'm including closeups in this post. The Peacoat Wool is soft and has almost a furry texture; the individual threads don't show.

Peacoat Popover (similar here, here, here)

Fabric contents.


Peacoat Popover (similar here, here, here)


Stadium-Cloth Cocoon Coat, Heather Stone, size 00 (similar here, here, here)
For those who want a more architectural, voluminous coat, this one's for you. I found that it fits TTS for the shape it's going for. The shoulders, however, were more defined and less curved than I expected, but that may just be my shoulders. In the end this coat took more of a straight shape, falling from the shoulders, rather than a rounded one that curves out at the midsection. The Stadium Cloth is a wonderfully heavy material -- apparently J. Crew's warmest wool.

Stadium-Cloth Cocoon Coat (similar here, here, here)

From the side: intentionally voluminous.

Stadium-Cloth Cocoon Coat (similar here, here, here)

Interior details.

Stadium-Cloth Cocoon Coat (similar here, here, here)

Here's a closeup of the Stadium Cloth fabric. The wool is still soft and fuzzy to the touch, but doesn't have quite the lofty quality of the Peacoat Wool. You can see that the threads are visible here.

Stadium-Cloth Cocoon Coat (similar here, here, here)

Fabric contents.

Stadium-Cloth Cocoon Coat (similar here, here, here)


Jewel-Neck Top, size 00 (similar here, here, here)
I'm a little surprised to see a jeweled-neckline top as it feels like we went through this trend in a recent year; I don't know if many other retailers are doing it. The material is a quite substantial wool crepe that feels thread-y, and not the least bit fuzzy or itchy. It also has a polyester lining. The fit through the body is once again too boxy on me (why is it that the perennial coats manage to fit, whereas the newer tops never do??), whereas the shoulders are ok, but aren't terribly fitted. It's possible this top runs large, although I wouldn't be able to do any shorter of a length.

Jewel-Neck Top (similar here, here, here)

Here I'm showing how much fabric would have to be taken off for this top to be fitted.

Jewel-Neck Top (similar here, here, here)

From the side: the body is definitely too voluminous, but I might've been able to size down in the top part too (should a smaller size have existed).

Jewel-Neck Top (similar here, here, here)

Detail of the embroidery.

Jewel-Neck Top (similar here, here, here)

Fabric contents.

Jewel-Neck Top (similar here, here, here)

Darts in the front at the chest.

Jewel-Neck Top (similar here, here, here)

One set of darts on either side of the back zip.

Jewel-Neck Top (similar here, here, here)


Chiffon Dot Top, Navy, size 00 (similar here, here, here)
This top is part of the Holiday rollout and isn't on the website yet. J. Crew and Madewell must be doing a coordinated effort with the Swiss dot styles as Madewell has a very similar top. I guess the top here must be going for a peasant-blouse style here as it is quite wide. It's hard to tell if it actually fits on you because it's just wide all over! One thing that was interesting though: the sleeve cuffs are quite narrow! I have rather skinny lower wrists and if I raised my arm so the sleeve cuff slid to about halfway up my lower arm, it got stuck and I could feel a pull on the sleeve. It didn't inhibit my movement much, but overall, I just don't know what to make of this fit. The fabric is sheer and will require a tank underneath.

Chiffon Dot Top (similar here, here, here)

You can see that the width is aligned to the arm holes and falls straight down from there.

Chiffon Dot Top (similar here, here, here)

Lots of volume, but I guess it's intentional.

Chiffon Dot Top (similar here, here, here)

Closeup of the material and the sleeve cuff.

Chiffon Dot Top (similar here, here, here)

Fabric contents.

Chiffon Dot Top (similar here, here, here)


Double-Cloth Slim Trench, Caribbean Pink, size 00 (similar here, here, here)
I tried on the navy version of this trench in this post, but found the pink one at the current store so I thought I'd give it a try too. As I remarked before, the fit is wonderful and actually TTS on this trench, which is in contrast to many of J. Crew's tops this season. The length is perfect on me (I'm 5'5"), which is a relief as it looked short on the website. The Double Cloth fabric is a very non-felted, non-fuzzy fabric where the threads show through very clearly. It's substantial -- around the same weight as the Peacoat Wool, and lighter than the Stadium Cloth. The pink color is less dusty than I'd expected, having seen the website pictures. It's somewhere between a bubblegum and salmon pink and is rather bold.

Double-Cloth Slim Trench (similar here, here, here)

From the side: fit is soooooo flattering! Refreshing to be able to say that!

Double-Cloth Slim Trench
(similar here, here, here)

A close-up of the Double Cloth material. As you can see, the threads show very clearly; this fabric is even less fuzzy and more grainy than the Stadium Cloth.

Double-Cloth Slim Trench (similar here, here, here)


Toothpick Jean in Geometric Print, size 26 (similar here, here, here)
This pant is also part of the Holiday rollout and is new to stores. Interesting, the store I went to already sold out of the 24 and 25 over the weekend! Thus, I settled for trying on the 26, which is two sizes too large for me. Size notwithstanding, I imagine the fit on this pant is TTS. The fabric is 97% cotton and 3% spandex; it's smooth and more of a pant fabric than jean fabric. The stretch is also quite noticeable. As these pants fit on my 28" inseam, they are meant to hit at the ankle on those with average-length legs. Crazy pants seem to be big right now, as I've seen them at many stores, so if they're your thing, you're in luck!

Toothpick Jean in Geometric Print
(similar here, here, here)

From the side: disregarding that these pants are two sizes too large, the fit is as expected.

Toothpick Jean in Geometric Print
(similar here, here, here)

Toothpick Jean in Geometric Print
(similar here, here, here)

So what do you think?? Do you like any of the coats? Are the crazy pants this season your kind of thing?

14 comments:

  1. Love all of your reviews- many thanks! I am drooling over geometric pants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Slastena! I thought of you when I saw the geometric pants!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the review! A lot of your pictures don't show correctly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up. I posted them using Firefox, but I just tried viewing this post on Internet Explorer and I see what you're talking about. I'll try to figure out what's wrong!

      Delete
    2. Ok, I went and fixed it. It appears to be working on Internet Explorer now. There was a problem with how Internet Explorer read some of my custom HTML edits. It seemed to work fine on Firefox and Chrome, though. Let me know if there continue to be problems. I'll go and fix the other posts that have this issue. Thanks for letting me know!

      Delete
  3. I just ordered the Jewel neck top and personally, I love it. I wore it with jeans and did a white button down underneath it. I agree that it runs slightly big as I was able to layer under it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it worked out for you! The layering sounds like a fun and unexpected look -- it's how they styled it on the website and I'm curious how it translates in real life!

      Delete
  4. Love your reviews - thank you! I love the Slim Trench and the Cocoon Coat looks so cozy! I like the geometric toothpicks as well, but not sure if I'll bite because I've been avoiding the printed/floral jean trend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Caitlin! They really nailed it with the Slim Trench, IMO. I can't find anything wrong with it.

      Delete
  5. I can't tell you what a great resource your blog is. With no reviews en site at JCrew, your posts have helped me make a lot of purchasing decisions! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind remarks, Larissa! I'm glad to be of help to you and others. Goodness knows I myself need IRL insight before making purchases online -- sometimes you can't know what you're going to get!

      Delete
  6. Hi,
    Your blog is an amaaazing source of reviews and information about fit! It's especially helpful for someone like me whose only option is to shop online for J Crew. I'm thinking about purchasing the cocoon coat, and was hoping to get your thoughts on size/fit. I'm 5'6 and about 110lbs, and am looking to layer maybe a sweater + blazer under the coat. Do the shoulders allow for so much layering underneath? What size do you think would be best?
    Thanks for your time!
    -Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Beverly! Thanks for your kind words! I'm glad you find this blog to be helpful. You sound about the same size as me -- I'm 5'5" and around 108, so you may be a bit slimmer considering your height. I imagine you'd also fit a 00 then. For reference, I measure 33" at the chest and 16.5" across the shoulders. I'm also top-heavy for my size, so if you have smaller top measurements, I think the 00 would be your size. I didn't find the Cocoon Coat to fit tightly anywhere in spite of my shoulders, so I think a sweater or blazer would be just fine. Do you have any other J.Crew tops you can compare sizes with? I'd say this one compares about the same with blazers and some older tops, which are correctly sized to the size guide, unlike some of the more recent tees and tops which have mostly been too boxy (as per my endless complaints about those! :-/). I hope this helps you and I hope you enjoy the coat, should you get it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the incredibly prompt response! Yes, I think we are built quite similar, except that I am much smaller in the bust and (based on your jeans/pants size in other reviews) a little thicker in the thighs. It sounds like 00 is the way to go! I have some old, old J Crew tops, which I will dig out and check for size. Thanks again for your help and for your amazing blog!
      -Beverly

      Delete