Saturday, November 3, 2012

J. Crew November rollout reviews part 3

Hello everyone! So here I'll continue reviewing items from the new November rollout from two weeks ago. Below is a list of the other two posts reviewing the rollout so far, and the items covered. I'll be filing away the items in this post to the Index of Review Posts, as usual.

- Part 2:
- Part 1:


Cafe Capri in Red Tartan, style #16333, size 00 (similar here, here, here)
I'm happy to report like that many of the more recent novelty wool Cafe Capris, these are lined. Perhaps this is a sign that J. Crew is getting our demands for lining on wool Cafe Capris, and may even amend the regular solid ones soon?? The wool is adequately substantial, and doesn't feel thin or anything to me; it's the same smooth texture as the wool on the solid Cafe Capris, and at least as thick. The plaid is a lovely mix of red, green, and blue, for those of you into a holiday color scheme. I took some pictures of these pants paired with the other items I tried on to show how the colors works with other items. The fit is TTS for a 00R, I think, as I usually take the smaller 00P.

J. Crew plaid wool Cafe Capri
Cafe Capri in Red Tartan (similar here, here, here)

From the side/back: fit is large on me, but TTS for the size.

J. Crew plaid wool Cafe Capri
Cafe Capri in Red Tartan (similar here, here, here)

The tag.

J. Crew plaid wool Cafe Capri
Cafe Capri in Red Tartan (similar here, here, here)

Fabric contents.

J. Crew plaid wool Cafe Capri
Cafe Capri in Red Tartan (similar here, here, here)


Frenchie Sweater, style #28415, size XXS (similar here, here, here)
It looks like this sweater is sold out online, but the B&Ms in my area just got these in and had plentiful stacks of them, so you might want to check in stores. First off, the sweater is really, really itchy. It was quite uncomfortable as I pulled it on, but wearing it, I noticed the itch a little bit less. I'd still want a tee underneath it, though. I felt like the material, which is a viscose/nylon/wool/rabbit hair/cashmere blend (see tag below), wasn't all that thick and was light and loose. The fit is good on this sweater though, and any looseness through the midsection is appropriate and elegant. The banded hem fits to your hips and narrows everything in.

J. Crew Frenchie Sweater
Frenchie Sweater (similar here, here, here)

Fit looks good from the side. The midsection has an appropriate amount of volume.

J. Crew Frenchie Sweater
Frenchie Sweater (similar here, here, here)
Cafe Capri in Red Tartan
(similar here, here, here)

I thought I'd take an outfit shot with the plaid Cafe Capris as I think the gray in this sweater makes a good color match, in case you're wondering what to pair with a holiday plaid.

J. Crew Frenchie Sweater and plaid wool Cafe Capri
Frenchie Sweater (similar here, here, here)
Cafe Capri in Red Tartan (similar here, here, here)

Fabric contents.

J. Crew Frenchie Sweater
Frenchie Sweater (similar here, here, here)


Excursion Quilted Vest in Herringbone, style #93111, size XXS (similar here, here)
This is an older item from Fall, but our store had plenty of these so I thought I'd try it on. I find the herringbone print quite unique and a nice way to take a quilted vest out of a merely athletic arena. The vest is quite a decent weight and doesn't feel light or skimpy. I felt that it was too roomy, though, and kind of just hung around my midsection. Maybe a puffer vest is supposed to look poofy? It would've been more flattering on me if it were actually fitted, though. With all the extra volume, I had no use for the double-ended zipper as it wouldn't have zipped up to create an hourglass shape on me anyway.

J. Crew Excursion Quilted Vest in Herringbone
Excursion Quilted Vest in Herringbone (similar here, here)

From the side: hangs like a barrel.

J. Crew Excursion Quilted Vest in Herringbone
Excursion Quilted Vest in Herringbone
(similar here, here)
Cafe Capri in Red Tartan
(similar here, here, here)

Here I'm pulling out the extra material to show what it'd look like if it were fitted.

J. Crew Excursion Quilted Vest in Herringbone
Excursion Quilted Vest in Herringbone
(similar here, here)
Cafe Capri in Red Tartan
(similar here, here, here)

I don't think I'll be able to wear this vest open, as there's enough volume when zipped up.

J. Crew Excursion Quilted Vest in Herringbone
Excursion Quilted Vest in Herringbone (similar here, here)
Frenchie Sweater (similar here, here, here)
Cafe Capri in Red Tartan (similar here, here, here)

Fabric contents.

J. Crew Excursion Quilted Vest in Herringbone
Excursion Quilted Vest in Herringbone (similar here, here)


Gabby Top, style #24154, Vibrant Fuchsia, size 00 (similar here, here, here)
Here we have this season's permutation of the silk cami. The silk is a chiffon with a rich, crinkled texture, and is lined underneath. The ruffles continue J. Crew's repertoire of perennial ruffled camis, but I think their larger size and pleated origins add something different. The fit, while not curve-hugging or fitted, is still adequately tailored, and the bit of extra room that exists drapes nicely. I found that the length grazed the top of my low-rise jeans, but is fine for mid-rise or higher bottoms like the Cafe Capris here. I do have a longer torso, though.

J. Crew Gabby Top in Vibrant Fuchsia
Gabby Top (similar here, here, here)

From the side: the fact that the cami goes in from the chest to the bottom hem instead of hanging is a win in my mind.

J. Crew Gabby Top in Vibrant Fuchsia
Gabby Top (similar here, here, here)
Cafe Capri in Red Tartan
(similar here, here, here)

From the back.

J. Crew Gabby Top in Vibrant Fuchsia
Gabby Top (similar here, here, here)
Cafe Capri in Red Tartan (similar here, here, here)

I think the bright fuchsia is a color that can work with the holiday plaid colorway, if you're into a brighter pairing.

J. Crew Gabby Top in Vibrant Fuchsia and plaid wool Cafe Capri
Gabby Top (similar here, here, here)
Cafe Capri in Red Tartan (similar here, here, here)

Interesting detail: there's a button and loop closure, but the button is under the ruffle.

J. Crew Gabby Top in Vibrant Fuchsia
Gabby Top (similar here, here, here)


Postage Stamp Mini in Indigo Tweed, style #25084, size 00 (similar here, here, here)
This tweed is light and non-dense, like the other colorful novelty tweeds we've seen this season. As such, the skirt isn't particularly stiff, but the material was thick enough that the skirt didn't feel lacking, either. The bold blue with black yarns perfusing it isn't really my kind of color, but others may like it for its edginess. I don't think the Frenchie Sweater is really the greatest pairing with the skirt, but I was needing something to wear with it, so that's why I have it on. The length is longer for a mini and doesn't feel scandalous.

J. Crew Postage Stamp Mini in Indigo Tweed and Frenchie Sweater
Frenchie Sweater (similar here, here, here)
Postage Stamp Mini in Indigo Tweed (similar here, here, here)

Fits perfectly from the side.

J. Crew Postage Stamp Mini in Indigo Tweed and Frenchie Sweater
Frenchie Sweater (similar here, here, here)
Postage Stamp Mini in Indigo Tweed
(similar here, here, here)

Closeup of the tweed.

J. Crew Postage Stamp Mini in Indigo Tweed
Postage Stamp Mini in Indigo Tweed (similar here, here, here)

Fabric contents -- is this the most synthetic tweed we've seen so far?

J. Crew Postage Stamp Mini in Indigo Tweed
Postage Stamp Mini in Indigo Tweed
(similar here, here, here)

15 comments:

  1. thank you for these reviews! that tweed is quite the cocktail of synthetics, isn't it!

    phiphi's blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Phiphi! Yeah, I guess this tweed isn't one from one of those illustrious Italian mills, although those are racking up the synthetic content too!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for these reviews and photos! It is disappointing to see the amount of synthetic is increasing in so many of their tweeds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ms. ABC! It looks like we can either have color or natural materials in the tweeds, but not both, huh?

      Delete
  3. Love your blog. I've nominated you for a Liebster blog award. Visit my blog for details:

    http://what-i-bought-today-tc.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, and for the nomination, TC!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for posting the review on the postage stamp mini. I adore this bright blue - its so vibrant. It's definitely on my wishlist! Hope it hits the sale section soon :)

    Tasia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blue certainly has a lot of presence! I'd love to see it on you!

      Delete
  5. Good to see the tartan pants in 100% wool and lined. The alignment of the pattern looks good across seams so I'll likely get them at some point, I am an addict I confess. I have the excursion vest, love it for its added warmth without the usual bulk, guess I never thought much about whether it should be more fitted.

    Thanks for all your reviews, they are really helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words! I hadn't thought of the placement of the pattern on the plaid but you're right, that certainly contributes a big part to how the pant looks. I'm glad that this pant hits all the right notes: in terms of materials, cut, and construction. Hopefully we'll see more like this one!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing the reviews and photos. The pants are really cute but unfortunately I can't do capris.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Blog is GREAT!!! thanks for trying on and posting some items--I LOVE the TWEED MINI in the blue/black--J. Crew should thank you cuz I think I'm going to get it since you wrote the length is "not scandolous!" thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind remarks, yogagirl! J.Crew's mini skirts as of late have all been a pretty good length, thankfully, so I feel more assured about their wearability. Their higher-ups must have been listening to our demands!

      Delete
  8. Well hello there! In this post did you use the information from some studies or these are fully your private thought? Can't wait to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Make your own frenchie sweater!
    Check out my tutorial on how to make your very own jcrew inspired frenchie sweater. http://happinessiscreating.com/ciy-frenchie-sweater/

    ReplyDelete