Monday, November 26, 2012

J.Crew December rollout reviews part 1

Sorry for my absence lately, everyone! I visited the B&Ms when the December rollout hit stores a few weeks ago and have some reviews to share. Also, if you haven't seen it yet, I have the full December Style Guide up on The J. Crew Archives. And as always, I'll be indexing the items in this post to the Index of Review Posts.


First up: notice the color scheme pervading this rollout! Lots of lovely lavender, navy, and pink berry tones.

J.Crew December 2012


Heartbreaker Sweater, style #32862, Lavender Burgundy, size XXS (similar here, here, here)
I think this sweater is supposed to have the silhouette of the Tippi, but it feels tighter. This particular one was also rather short -- I noticed that I kept having to pull it down after moving around as it would ride up above my waistband. I also tried on one (the same size) in the gray color, which seemed to be longer and didn't have the riding up problem. I found the material to be thin -- it's definitely a lightweight sweater and not meant for serious warmth -- though I'm not sure how it compares with the Tippi. It has a different fabric content, as well.

J.Crew Heartbreaker Sweater in Lavender Burgundy
Heartbreaker Sweater (similar here, here, here)

From the side: wonderfully fitted. It'd be nice if J.Crew made more sweaters this fitted!

J.Crew Heartbreaker Sweater in Lavender Burgundy
Heartbreaker Sweater (similar here, here, here)

A detail of the inside: when I first saw this, I thought the hearts must be stitched into heart-shaped holes cut into the sweater, if that's even possible. But according to the website, the hearts are intarsia-knit in! I guess the yarns outlining the hearts aren't actually stitches, after all.

J.Crew Heartbreaker Sweater in Lavender Burgundy
Heartbreaker Sweater (similar here, here, here)

Fabric contents.

J.Crew Heartbreaker Sweater in Lavender Burgundy
Heartbreaker Sweater (similar here, here, here)


Toothpick Jean in Velvet, style #22220, Navy, size 24 (similar here, here, here)
I found these to fit TTS, though the calves are somewhat large on me; I have narrow calves, though. The material is substantial though the velvet feels a bit *dry*, if I remember correctly. The Navy color seems to be a good color match for pretty much everything I grabbed to try on! I imagine it would be a good pairing for many other things in this rollout, as well as a good neutral pant in general. I like the velvet texture as a less rugged alternative to corduroys that immediately draws the eye in.

J.Crew Toothpick Jean in Velvet in Navy
Toothpick Jean in Velvet (similar here, here, here)

From the back: fit is good through the top but loosens up in the legs on me. Shrinking would probably take care of this.

J.Crew Toothpick Jean in Velvet in Navy
Toothpick Jean in Velvet (similar here, here, here)

The Navy works perfectly with the Heartbreaker Sweater above.

J.Crew Heartbreaker Sweater in Lavender Burgundy; Toothpick Jean in Velvet in Navy
Heartbreaker Sweater (similar here, here, here)
Toothpick Jean in Velvet (similar here, here, here)


Heartbreaker Sweater, style #32862, Dusk Navy, size XXS (similar here, here, here)
Here's the other color of the Heartbreaker. As I mentioned, I found this one to fit more like what I expected, lengthwise. The Navy Velvet Toothpicks are an excellent color match for these, as well.



Colorblock Top in Stripe, style #33527, Fuchsia Stripe, size XXS (similar here, here, here)
This top is made of a very thick, stiff cotton that feels somewhat canvas-like and that you wouldn't expect to find in a tee. It's 100% cotton so it doesn't have any stretch. I found the material uncomfortable as it's stiff and somewhat hard to move in. The tee is somewhat shaped through the waist, but still has a loose, boxy fit, which may be a good thing given how stiff it is. On the website it is pictured layered over a button-down shirt -- perhaps this top would make more sense styled that way?

J.Crew Colorblock Top in Stripe in Fuchsia Stripe
Colorblock Top in Stripe (similar here, here, here)

From the side: still an ample amount of space on me.

J.Crew Colorblock Top in Stripe in Fuchsia Stripe
Colorblock Top in Stripe (similar here, here, here)

Don't forget about the exposed zipper on the back. The curved seams off to the side are also a nice touch, but the top was still too boxy on me overall.

J.Crew Colorblock Top in Stripe in Fuchsia Stripe; Toothpick Jean in Velvet in Navy
Colorblock Top in Stripe
(similar here, here, here)
Toothpick Jean in Velvet
(similar here, here, here)

All the colors in the stripes work well with the navy Toothpicks.

J.Crew Colorblock Top in Stripe in Fuchsia Stripe; Toothpick Jean in Velvet in Navy
Colorblock Top in Stripe (similar here, here, here)
Toothpick Jean in Velvet (similar here, here, here)

Shot of the back.

J.Crew Colorblock Top in Stripe in Fuchsia Stripe
Colorblock Top in Stripe (similar here, here, here)


Colorblock Top in Stripe, style #33527, Navy, size XXS (similar here, here, here)
Here's the other color of this top paired with the reddish-orange color of the Velvet Toothpicks. Fortuitous color match here, as well.



Toothpick Jean in Velvet, style #22220, Rustic Brick, size 24 (similar here, here, here)
I feel like this color would be much harder to match than the Navy or Mauve Blush (sold out online in Regular sizes) shades, unless you want to go edgy and have it stand out strongly. At least there's the above top to match it!

From the back.

J.Crew Colorblock Top in Stripe in Navy; Toothpick Jean in Velvet in Rustic Brick
Colorblock Top in Stripe
(similar here, here, here)
Toothpick Jean in Velvet
(similar here, here, here)


Chiffon Top, style #35530, Sail Pink, size 00 (similar here, here, here)
This top is the solid-color version of the Chiffon Top in Hothouse Floral (review here); the shape is the same, and from what I can tell, the fabric is the same semi-sheer silk chiffon. Once again, I find the cut to be too loose and boxy on me, and I think the solid color makes it more obvious than in the Hothouse print. I love love love this shade of purple though, so if you can find a size that works for you, the color is absolutely stunning. The top is lined just through the body, so the sleeves are slightly sheer, though it's not that noticeable. The silk is thin and fine, but has a lovely, smooth feel.

J.Crew Chiffon Top in Sail Pink
Chiffon Top (similar here, here, here)

From the side: rather loose.

J.Crew Chiffon Top in Sail Pink
Chiffon Top (similar here, here, here)

Here I'm showing how much excess fabric there is.

J.Crew Chiffon Top in Sail Pink
Chiffon Top (similar here, here, here)

A shot of the inside: the body is lined, and the lining is even attached at the armholes and has pleats to mirror that of the outside fabric.

J.Crew Chiffon Top in Sail Pink
Chiffon Top (similar here, here, here)


Velvet Tee, style #30314, Admiral Blue, size 0 (similar here, here, here)
I love the concept of this top but I don't think I have the best body type to pull it off. It's boxy and square, and on my wide shoulders, it makes my torso look even larger compared to my legs. Surprisingly, I found it to not be excessively short, which is how it looks on the hanger. The hem actually comes down past the waistband of my low-rise jeans. The velvet is a rayon/silk blend and is deliciously plush with a lovely sheen. If I had more balanced hips/shoulders, I'd be all over this top. I love its nonchalant, bohemian attitude rendered in a luxe material; I think it'd look good with a light-wash skinny jean and flat brown ankle boots.

J.Crew Velvet Tee in Admiral Blue
Velvet Tee (similar here, here, here)

Showing the excess material.

J.Crew Velvet Tee in Admiral Blue
Velvet Tee (similar here, here, here)

Pairs well with jeans. I'd go with a lighter wash for a more romantic, bohemian look.

J.Crew Velvet Tee in Admiral Blue
Velvet Tee (similar here, here, here)

From the side: boxy and voluminous on me.

J.Crew Velvet Tee in Admiral Blue
Velvet Tee (similar here, here, here)

Here's the tag since it's no longer online.

J.Crew Velvet Tee in Admiral Blue
Velvet Tee (similar here, here, here)

Fabric contents.

J.Crew Velvet Tee in Admiral Blue
Velvet Tee (similar here, here, here)


Velvet Tee, style #30314, Neon Azalea, size 0 (similar here, here, here)
Here's the other color in the top. I honestly don't know how I would style it as the bright pink gives it a completely different feel from the subdued, romantic Admiral Blue.

J.Crew Velvet Tee in Neon Azalea
Velvet Tee (similar here, here, here)

Its tag.

J.Crew Velvet Tee in Neon Azalea
Velvet Tee (similar here, here, here)


Mixed Leather Rivet Belt, style #29944, Camel Black, size XS (similar here, here, here)
I spotted this belt among the lovely array of new belts in this rollout and was immediately drawn to it as it hits all of my weak spots: a black/camel pairing, metallic links, dapper colorblocking. The XS hit at the hips on me on the outer belt holes; I'm not sure if it works at the waist.

J.Crew Mixed Leather Rivet Belt in Camel Black
Mixed Leather Rivet Belt (similar here, here, here)

Here I'm trying my best to show how it looks on. From the front it doesn't entirely register as a two-tone belt; that becomes more evident from the side.


View from the side.

J.Crew Mixed Leather Rivet Belt in Camel Black
Mixed Leather Rivet Belt (similar here, here, here)


Well, what do you think of the December items? Do you like the color scheme, the hearts, the velvet? Any items you've purchased already or want to try?

6 comments:

  1. I'm adoring the grey heartbreak sweater....but am also trying to buy things for other people right now - no more me shopping for the month!

    Tasia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, hopefully it'll still be around after the holidays when the sales really tick up! I'm trying to mentally divide the things I think will be around for deeper discounts later versus the ones I need to snatch up now!

      Delete
  2. I like the velvet t-shirt on you in blue but not pink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that pink one is hard to figure out, huh? I really don't know what aesthetic they were going for with it!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the reviews! I love the idea of that velvet tee but I don't know what body type it looks good on. It is very wide. I've tried it on in a few sizes now and none is good on me. I could deal with the length, but combined with the poor fit on top overall width, I'll have to pass. Too bad because I really like that blue color, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too -- I love the color, the velvet, the aesthetic, everything about it but the fit! For me my shoulders are too wide and my arms too short for it. Maybe if it draped better . . .

      Delete