Tuesday, December 4, 2012

J.Crew December rollout reviews part 2

In this post I'll be reviewing more items from the December rollout from a few weeks ago. A new set of items just hit the website last Thursday coinciding with the new Holiday catalog, and I will check out those items as they trickle into stores. By the way, I am currently working on uploading the Holiday catalog to The J. Crew Archives and at time of writing, have the Women's and Crewcuts sections completed. Below is a list of the items I've covered so far from the December rollout. As always, I'll be indexing the items in this post to the Index of Review Posts.

- Part 1:

Handknit Popcorn Sweater, style # 30001, Heather Pond, size XXS (similar here, here, here)
This sweater was my top wishlist item from this rollout and I ended up purchasing it as it looks it's selling out pretty quickly online. I love the novel pattern on a wearable shape, and the purple shade is absolutely heavenly (I've been on a rampage collecting other items from this season in this color -- Wool Cafe Capri, Blythe Blouse . . .). The knit is the thickness of a second-layer although somewhat lighter and not very dense (the lower-gauge yarns don't knit very densely). The panels off to the side of the center popcorn panel are open-knit, so you may want a base layer underneath. I found the length to be slightly short in the body -- you can see it only makes it to the top of my waistband, as well as the sleeves -- meaning the sleeves actually fit my proportionally-short arms and thus may be short on most everyone else. The body was just slightly wide on me but may be ok if you don't want a curve-hugging look. I'm going to try to address the length and width issues by soaking this sweater and rolling it in a towel from top to bottom and maybe hanging it upside down to dry. I'll update on how this works out!

The yarn is actually space-dyed and subtly varies from purple to a more pinkish tone (see detail below).

J.Crew Handknit Popcorn Sweater in Heather Pond
Handknit Popcorn Sweater (similar here, here, here)

From the side: there is a little bit extra room at the waist, which wouldn't be a problem if the sweater were a bit longer. With the short length it just looks boxy, but I'm going to try to fix this.

J.Crew Handknit Popcorn Sweater in Heather Pond
Handknit Popcorn Sweater (similar here, here, here)

A closeup of the yarns. You can see that the colors vary from blue to purple to pink.

J.Crew Handknit Popcorn Sweater in Heather Pond
Handknit Popcorn Sweater (similar here, here, here)


Bow-Neck Top in Bow Print, style #33648, size 00 (similar here, here, here)
This top also comes in a solid-color version, which I review below. I found the cut to be rather voluminous on me, though it's not as evident in this photo as this top was clinging to me. The solid blue version below didn't have this problem when I tried it on, so you can see the size better. The cut is very straight and loose through the body as this is a pull-on top. The silk is quite nice and didn't register to me as too thin. It also felt smoother and more creamy than many of the silk tops I've seen from J.Crew. Even though the fabric is white, I didn't find it to be sheer enough to necessitate a camisole. The length is quite adequate. There's a keyhole closure in the back.

J.Crew Bow-Neck Top in Bow Print
Bow-Neck Top in Bow Print (similar here, here, here)

From the side: the top is actually much less fitted than shown here as it's clinging to me in this picture.

J.Crew Bow-Neck Top in Bow Print
Bow-Neck Top in Bow Print (similar here, here, here)

Attempt at tucking it in. I think it's sort of working, but again the clinging makes it look odd.

J.Crew Bow-Neck Top in Bow Print; Tuxedo Pencil Skirt
Bow-Neck Top in Bow Print
(similar here, here, here)
Tuxedo Pencil Skirt (similar here, here, here)

Back keyhole closure and shiny gold button.

J.Crew Bow-Neck Top in Bow Print
Bow-Neck Top in Bow Print (similar here, here, here)


Tuxedo Pencil Skirt, style #26473, size 00 (similar here, here, here)
This skirt really caught my eye when it came out. I think the quality doesn't disappoint, but the fit was a little odd on me. The material is a thick, stiff wool/silk blend with a lovely, textured sheen on the outside and is matte on the inside. There is a lining that comes down to where the slits start. My issue with the fit is that though this is my regular size, it seemed to curve out excessively through the hips and looked kind of bell-shaped on me. Maybe sizing down would solve this problem for most people. The waist is also lower than that of the No. 2 Pencil Skirts -- this one came well below my belly button while the No. 2's sit covering my belly button, so sizing down is probably viable. The length is also shorter than this year's No. 2's as the hem hits above my knee.

J.Crew Tuxedo Pencil Skirt
Tuxedo Pencil Skirt (similar here, here, here)

From the side: looks fine. I think it's mostly the sides that curved out excessively, and thus the effect is visible mostly from the front.

J.Crew Tuxedo Pencil Skirt
Tuxedo Pencil Skirt (similar here, here, here)

Shot of the lining. This skirt, a size 0, which you can see from the size tag, is actually another one that I tried on at a different time and not the one in the above pictures, which is in fact a 00.

J.Crew Tuxedo Pencil Skirt
Tuxedo Pencil Skirt (similar here, here, here)

Materials.

J.Crew Tuxedo Pencil Skirt
Tuxedo Pencil Skirt (similar here, here, here)


Boucle Peplum Jacket, style #11654, Black, size XXS (similar here, here, here)
I reviewed this jacket in the Fall in this post when it came in a navy color, and I'm guessing it must've been a popular item as (I believe) the original colors never went on sale and now it's back in a black version. Anyway, I still love this jacket and I think the black is a great take on it. It looks very similar to the Indigo, and at first I couldn't even tell it was a different color. The material is the same thicker, but soft knit. It doesn't feel like a real jacket since it's a knit, and is more of a cardigan weight. The contrast between the darker and lighter yarns gives it a quite sharp appearance. The boucle loops don't stick up very high, but I can't personally comment on whether it snags. The peplum is subtle and non-frilly, and along with the double-zip, create an hourglass shape. I found this particular jacket to be looser on me than the one I'd tried on previously. It doesn't hug your curves, but the looseness will allow for a long-sleeved button-down underneath. I found I rather liked the outfit it made with the Tuxedo Pencil Skirt.

J.Crew Boucle Peplum Jacket in Black; Tuxedo Pencil Skirt
Boucle Peplum Jacket (similar here, here, here)
Bow-Neck Top in Bow Print (similar here, here, here)
Tuxedo Pencil Skirt (similar here, here, here)

From the side: fairly straight-cut. I would've preferred it more fitted, but this may be good for wearing long-sleeve tops underneath.

J.Crew Boucle Peplum Jacket in Black; Tuxedo Pencil Skirt
Boucle Peplum Jacket
(similar here, here, here)
Tuxedo Pencil Skirt (similar here, here, here)

Here I'm showing how much excess fabric there is.

J.Crew Boucle Peplum Jacket in Black; Tuxedo Pencil Skirt
Boucle Peplum Jacket (similar here, here, here)
Tuxedo Pencil Skirt (similar here, here, here)

Bow-Neck Top, style #38889, Byzantine Blue, size 00 (similar here, here, here)
This is the solid-color version of the Bow Print blouse above. I think the bow at the neck is more evident in this one as the fabric isn't a print. In these pictures you can also see how boxy the top is on me. The silk is light, so I don't think it drapes well enough to hide the volume. It's the same lovely, smooth silk as the printed version.


J.Crew Bow-Neck Top in Byzantine Blue; Tuxedo Pencil Skirt
Bow-Neck Top (similar here, here, here)
Tuxedo Pencil Skirt (similar here, here, here)

Here I'm showing how much excess volume there is.

J.Crew Bow-Neck Top in Byzantine Blue
Bow-Neck Top (similar here, here, here)

From the side: the fit is quite boxy and just hangs on me.

J.Crew Bow-Neck Top in Byzantine Blue; Tuxedo Pencil Skirt
Bow-Neck Top (similar here, here, here)

Showing the excess material.

J.Crew Bow-Neck Top in Byzantine Blue; Tuxedo Pencil Skirt
Bow-Neck Top (similar here, here, here)
Tuxedo Pencil Skirt (similar here, here, here)

Tucked in - seems to be working alright.

J.Crew Bow-Neck Top in Byzantine Blue; Tuxedo Pencil Skirt
Bow-Neck Top (similar here, here, here)
Tuxedo Pencil Skirt (similar here, here, here)

Tucked in, from the side.


Here's a detail of the inside though the color for some reason doesn't look like the same top. A nice surprise: French seams! This is a shot of the center back seam and the bottom of the keyhole. The side seams are French seamed, too.

J.Crew Bow-Neck Top in Byzantine Blue
Bow-Neck Top (similar here, here, here)

What do you think of these items? Do you like the new silk tops? Were you one of the ones ooh-ing over the Tuxedo Pencil Skirt? Have you been contributing to the run on the Handknit Popcorn Sweater?? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

13 comments:

  1. I actually like them all! you look so much better in that sweater than I did - the colour looks lovely on you - it did nothing for my complexion which was sad, as I really like the sweater. YOu look great in the bow tops; i had kind of popped them by, but now make take a second look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dream and long for that shade of purple and pounce whenever retailers actually offer it! There's also the ivory on the website, and an SA informed me the sweater also comes in Modern Red and a "Heather Peacock" . . . hmm, trying to imagine what Heather Peacock would look like! I think the bow tops work better on me tucked in, so maybe that's one problem-solver for the bow tops.

      Delete
  2. Every year I am drawn to at least one cable sweater. This year it was the popcorn sweater. Looks great on you. Based on past experience and chest size, I have learned that I can not wear a crew neck sweater unless it is smooth...no cables, balls, sequins, tinsel...otherwise I look like one big boob. I am glad you will get to enjoy it. Love the color also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Blue Booby. Life As a Cat, that sweater is very pretty on you and it suits your figure, although I agree that J.Crew could have made it a bit longer. I don't know what they're trying to accomplish by skimping on length with so many items!

      Delete
    2. It looks better in the pictures than it does on me at its current too-short length, though if I pull down on it it looks more flattering. I wonder if the short length has to do with it being handknit? It's weird because so many of their tops lately have been too voluminous and shapeless . . . if only they'd shift material from one category to another, they'd come out ahead in both!

      Delete
  3. Great reviews. I wouldn't have thought they'd bring out another color of the peplum blazer....I might have to look into that again :)

    Tasia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tasia! Trying on this black one definitely rekindled my interest in it even though I'd decided not to purchase the blue one in favor of other items. I wish they'd also consider bringing back other well-loved items that have sold out!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the reviews. The popcorn sweater looks very pretty on you, the colour really suits you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! I do love me a dreamy, muted pastel, and my closet will probably be swimming in lilac after I finish my rampage!

      Delete
  5. i loved the peplum blazer too when it came out a while back. the black is back to tempt me! thanks for that review. you made a great outfit with the tuxedo skirt too!

    xox P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This might have to be my chance to get it! I kind of wish the blue were still available as I think I like that color slightly better, but the black looks so similar to it and still has that nice sharp appearance.

      Delete
  6. Did you have any luck stretching the popcorn sweater? I want it so bad but I know it will just be too short on me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried it yet, but I have managed to stretch out other sweaters in the past with the same method. If you're really hankering for the sweater, I'd say get it before it sells out! I think stretching it out will be fairly promising. I've sort of been waiting to see if the price will drop lower before taking the tags off of mine, but I may just go ahead and do so soon and do the stretching experiment as it doesn't look like the sweater will be around for long.

      Delete