Wednesday, January 16, 2013

J.Crew winter sale reviews part 1

Hello again! I have some more December reviews to share before delving into the January items, which came out a few weeks ago. Many, if not all, of the upcoming December review items will be on sale now, so if they're not online, you can call Customer Service to see if stores have them, or try waiting for popbacks. So far the January selection has been fairly small, so I will get to those items once there is more to review, or when we see some full-fledged Spring arrivals! Also, I have the January 2013 Style Guide up on The J. Crew Archives. Below is a list of the items I've covered so far from the December rollout. As always, I'll be indexing the items in this post to the Index of Review Posts.

- Part 3:
- Part 2:
- Part 1:


Giant Bow Sweater, style #32831, Mist Black, size XXS (similar here, here, here)
This sweater is a little loftier than the Tippi due to its lower-gauge knit, and isn't as dense. There is a discernible fuzziness due to the angora content (see below). The material is also somewhat itchy, which is more noticeable as you're pulling it on, but isn't as much once you're wearing it. I think I could wear it for a day without a tee underneath. The length is on the shorter side, but should be fine with mid-rise bottoms. The hem would probably cover a low-rise bottom, but you may end up pulling the sweater down over the course of the day. Otherwise, the fit is good -- not boxy, but not body-conscious, either. This will be a versatile, wearable sweater if the cute/sassy attitude suits you.


From the side: allows you some room in the waist, but comes in nicely with the ribbed hem.


Fabric contents.



No. 2 Pencil Skirt in Dot Brocade (also at Net-A-Porter), style #26536, size 00 (similar here, here, here)
I found this to be quite an interesting material. The fabric is quite thick but light, and tends toward holding whatever shape it's bent into, somewhat resisting gravity -- kind of the opposite of drapey. It reminds me of some curtain fabrics, though I don't think it's undesirable for clothing. The skirt has the standard No. 2 Pencil Skirt fit from this year -- wonderfully tailored, coming past the knees, and hitting at the belly button.


Wonderfully fitted from all sides.


Here are some closeups of the fabric. This is from the front: you can see that the blue dots are raised out of the fabric.

J.Crew No. 2 Pencil Skirt in Dot Brocade
No. 2 Pencil Skirt in Dot Brocade (at Net-A-Porter) (similar here, here, here)

From the inside: the fabric is indented where the dots are raised up.

J.Crew No. 2 Pencil Skirt in Dot Brocade
No. 2 Pencil Skirt in Dot Brocade (at Net-A-Porter) (similar here, here, here)


Merino Turtleneck Sweater in Abstract Diamond, style #29052, size XXS (similar here)
The material of this turtleneck is about the same thickness and weight as the Tippi, perhaps slightly more loose-knit, though any difference wasn't obvious. The length is quite adequate and is longer than the Giant Bow Sweater above, coming several inches past the waist of my mid-rise jeans. The fit once again strikes the perfect balance of being fitted without being skintight. The tag notes that the sweater is hand-printed, and this process is evident when you turn to the inside where some of the seams are white.

J.Crew Merino Turtleneck Sweater in Abstract Diamond
Merino Turtleneck Sweater in Abstract Diamond (similar here)

Fit is perfect from the side.

J.Crew Merino Turtleneck Sweater in Abstract Diamond
Merino Turtleneck Sweater in
Abstract Diamond
(similar here)

Shoulder seams are white, interestingly, thanks to the hand-printing process.

J.Crew Merino Turtleneck Sweater in Abstract Diamond
Merino Turtleneck Sweater in Abstract Diamond (similar here)


Collection Cashmere Herringbone Sweater, style #33956, Dusk Pink, size XXS (similar here, here, here)
I was quite pleased at how thick this sweater is. It's a good bit thicker and denser than the typical cashmere pieces, like the Cashmere Tippi, thanks to the herringbone knit pattern. The length is quite adequate, like the merino turtleneck above, and I didn't have a problem with this being too short. The cut is the same fitted shape as both sweaters so far, though it hugs your arms (not tight or uncomfortable, though) whereas it leaves some room on the body. There's a short button placket at the back collar, though it wasn't hard to get this sweater on without undoing the buttons.

J.Crew Collection Cashmere Herringbone Sweater in Dusk Pink
Collection Cashmere Herringbone Sweater (similar here, here, here)

From the side: well-fitted, just like the two sweaters above.

J.Crew Collection Cashmere Herringbone Sweater in Dusk Pink
Collection Cashmere Herringbone
Sweater
(similar here, here, here)

Closeup of the knit pattern and button placket.

J.Crew Collection Cashmere Herringbone Sweater in Dusk Pink
Collection Cashmere Herringbone Sweater (similar here, here, here)


Sequin Stripe Tee, style #33540, Vintage Champagne, size XXS (similar here, here, here)
This top is somewhat short and only made it to the top of my jeans. It's also boxy, so maybe it's meant to be worn with a longer top underneath? I've seen others style the earlier Polka-Dot Sequin Top (review here) this way to great effect, so I'm kind of wondering if these sequined tops are meant to be worn alone at all. The all-over stitching does make this top a bit itchy, but again, I could probably wear it for a day without a tee underneath. I didn't have trouble getting this top over my head, unlike some of the other recent sequined tops. From a distance this top has a slightly swingy silhouette, which, combined with its short length, conveys a 60s attitude.

J.Crew Sequin Stripe Tee in Vintage Champagne
Sequin Stripe Tee (similar here, here, here)

This top is boxy, so I'm showing how much excess fabric there is.

J.Crew Sequin Stripe Tee in Vintage Champagne
Sequin Stripe Tee (similar here, here, here)

Boxy and short from the side, too.

J.Crew Sequin Stripe Tee in Vintage Champagne
Sequin Stripe Tee (similar here, here, here)

Showing the excess material.

J.Crew Sequin Stripe Tee in Vintage Champagne
Sequin Stripe Tee (similar here, here, here)

There are flaps of fabric -- a smaller one in front -- at the neckline in both the front and back.

J.Crew Sequin Stripe Tee in Vintage Champagne
Sequin Stripe Tee (similar here, here, here)

Detail of the stitching on the inside.

J.Crew Sequin Stripe Tee in Vintage Champagne
Sequin Stripe Tee (similar here, here, here)


Sequin Stripe Tee, style #33540, Burgundy, size XXS (similar here, here, here)
Here's the purple color; I think I rather like this color combination.

J.Crew Sequin Stripe Tee in Burgundy
Sequin Stripe Tee (similar here, here, here)

I'm trying to show the swingy feel that is evident from a distance, but I don't think it comes across well here since I have my arm raised . . .

J.Crew Sequin Stripe Tee in Burgundy
Sequin Stripe Tee (similar here, here, here)

Have you made any exciting scores during the recent sales? Have you picked up any of the new January rollout items?

5 comments:

  1. Great reviews! Thank you. :)

    I love the herringbone cashmere sweater, absolutely one of my favorites from them over the past season. (I liked a lot of what J. Crew did this fall, but there were only a few "had to have--LOVE it" items.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dina! The Herringbone Cashmere Sweater is super high quality, and I love the dark purple color.

      Delete
  2. I really like the bow sweater on you! I saw a bright teal one the other day at Loft which looked a little bit similar, but the knit was on the looser side and the sweater seemed to droop. Thank you also for modeling the sequined stripe top, I keep adding it to my cart every time it pops back, but couldn't pull the trigger...now I'm glad I didn't because boxy cuts do nothing for my already boxy figure. Thanks life as a cat!! Love your reviews, they're so helpful since you're similar in size (abet a little smaller)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no interest in the giant bow sweater until seeing it on you, you look really good in it. I may get it if I bump into it, if YKWIM. I just got the dot brocade skirt and now I know what you mean about the fabric. I couldn't find the regular length in my size so I'm hoping the petite is not too short. Think the item I really, really want is the herringbone cashmere. Great reviews. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you thank you thank you for your fantastic reviews. As a jcrew lover in Australia, it's hard to know if clothes will fit well. I got the bow sweater based on your review.. can't wait to receive it!

    ReplyDelete